I love seasonal, healthy, salads (especially during the heavy-eating holiday season…) and this recipe by Le Petite Chef is certainly that. Make it:
For the Salad:
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup chicken broth (low sodium is fine if preferred)
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed
1 honeycrisp apple
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
2 cups mixed greens, rinsed and dried
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
For the Dressing:
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. To cook the quinoa, add the broth to a pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until all of the broth has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad. Place the greens on a platter. Using the mandoline, thinly slice the fennel bulb and apple. Drizzle a little lemon juice on top of the apple slices to prevent browning. Scatter the fennel, apple and pomegranate seeds over the greens.
3. To make the dressing whisk together the greek yogurt, Dijon mustard and honey. Transfer the yogurt mixture into a jar and add olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste. Seal jar and shake vigorously to combine ingredients.
5. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium sauté pan. Set over medium-high heat. Once the oil has heated, add the quinoa to the pan and spread out across the surface. Refrain from stirring as this will allow the quinoa to crisp up. After 2-3 minutes, give the quinoa a stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Remove from heat.
6. Using a spoon, sprinkle the quinoa over the salad. Drizzle dressing on top and serve.
Photography: Lane Dittoe
Food: Le Petite Chef
Styling: Kelly Oshiro of SB Chic
Location: Apple Lane Farms