Today we’re continuing our food series with Duo Events and this time they’re putting a spin on a classic summertime treat, watermelon. For this recipe you will need:
-1 Small Watermelon
-6-8 Black Finger Limes (Caviar Limes) – available at specialty groceries and area farmers markets
-1 Bunch Thai Basil (can substitute lemon basil, opal basil or Italian basil)
-2 Tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
-1 Tablespoons, Flaked Sea Salt (we use Maldon Sea Salt)
To begin, Start by removing the watermelon rind and reserve for another use (makes great pickles!):
- Cut the watermelon into 3/4 inch thick slices.
- Cut slices into bite sized portions (a small pastry cutter works great for this)
- Roll each finger lime under the palm of your hand on a cutting board to loosen the “beads”.
- Slice the limes in half and squeeze into a bowl.
- Drizzle limes with olive oil and spoon 1 tsp onto each watermelon segment.
- Top with a basil leaf and 2-3 flakes of sea salt
Enjoy as an hors d’oeuvre on a hot afternoon or serve as a first course for a summer dinner. To see more ideas from Duo, check them out right here.
*Duo & Michael and Anna Costa are sponsors of Santa Barbara Chic
[…] Santa Barbara Chic – In the Kitchen w/ Duo: Watermelon, Lime & Basil September 2012 […]