THE PRINCIPLES OF STYLING
For Photographers & Stylists
March 29th, 2017 | Hammersky Vineyards | Paso Robles, CA
This styling workshop intensive features a mix of lecture, demonstration, two editorials, and hand-on “styling stations” for both stylists and photographers alike.
My goal is to teach you how to style wedding details really, really well. Real weddings unfortunately don’t generally come with stylists, and while capturing those real wedding detail shots can be time consuming, without them you simply won’t get published. And less publication, means less exposure to potential clients and less business in the end. It’s no coincidence, that some of the top wedding photographers in the world are also very strong stylists in their own right. So come learn the tricks of the trade to nailing these shots even with the time constraints and pressures of wedding day.
There will also be TWO editorials to shoot. The first a wedding themed editorial featuring a table and model bride styled by Joy Proctor. And the second, an entertaining/lifestyle tabletop with cocktail attire styled by me.
For stylists, I will talk about how to style editorials ranging from wedding, to lifestyle, to product/still life. Learn how I create characters and a storyline to produce editorials that feel real and authentic. I will share my process from the initial concept, to building the vendor team, to creating a meaningful shot list and finally running production the day of the shoot. Then I will demonstrate live how to style an invitation suite and bridal details (shoes/jewelry/veil).
Joy Proctor will also be on hand to talk about her process and perspective, and assist students during the hands-on styling portion.
Stylists and photographers will then be able to practice the concepts they’ve learned, hands-on, at our “styling stations.” I typically pull from two to three rental companies, there is never a shortage of props! Students can then practice styling an invitation shot, bridal details, and place-setting. Student styling work will be captured by Leo Patrone who will also be our lead photographer.
Early bird rate though February 29th, 2017, is $875.00, thereafter rate is $975.00. This workshop is limited to 15 or less students. Excludes travel and overnight accommodations. Seats, once reserved, are non-refundable. Breakfast & Lunch included. Workshop will run from 9am to 6pm, here is the schedule:
- Lecture on The Principles of Styling with Kelly
- Live styling demonstration by Kelly
- Joy to talk about her wedding tabletop styling and tips
- Photographers to shoot lifestyle table by Kelly
- Photographers to shoot wedding table by Joy
- Photographers to shoot one cocktail/engagement look, one wedding look
- Hands-on styling stations for photographers and stylists to practice invitation, bridal details, and place-setting
Early Bird Registration
Photographer: Megan Sorel |Florist: Lavender Flowers | Media Partner: 100 Layer Cake | Hair & Makeup: Jess Wilcox | Tabletop: The Ark |Dress: Solstice Bride | Headpieces & Accessories: Untamed Petals | Location: Santa Barbara Historical Museum | Rentals: Barn Relic | Calligraphy: Susan Silverberg | Candles: Creative Candles. | Shoes: Kate Whitcomb | Styling Boards: Heirloom Bindery | Additional Tabletop: Porch
Photography: Caroline Tran | Styling, Floral & Production: Kelly Oshiro | Location: Santa Barbara Historical Museum | Media Partner: Wedding Sparrow | Editorial Table & Bride: Joy Proctor | Tabletop Rentals: The Ark | Ribbon: Tono & Co | Hair & Makeup: Janet Villa | Dress: Delphine Manivet & Elizabeth Dye from Solstice Bride | Jewelry: 33 Jewels | Video: Lola Video | Chairs: The Tent Merchant | Candles: Creative Candles | Glasses: Pretty Vintage Rentals | Cake: Lele Patisserie | Paper: Written Word Calligraphy
- How many participants are there? We limit registration to only 15 students.
- How many still life shots can I style? You can style at minimum one invitations, bridal details still life and one tabletop setting. Time permitting students are welcome to play and style additional shots.
- What’s the format for the workshop? I will lecture about how to produce and style shoots and then I’ll demonstrate live how to style invitations, bridal details and placesetting. Afterward, students can style, hand’s on, photograph the editorials and watch how shots are directed and captured.
- I’m a photographer, will there be a sample editorial to shoot? Yes, there will TWO full editorials, the first wedding themed with a model/bride, tablescape, and paper goods by Joy Proctor AND a second entertaining/lifestyle tabletop and model look styled by me.
- I’m a stylist, who will photograph my work? Leo Patrone will be available to photograph student work.
- Are overnight accommodations and travel included? No, travel and accommodations are not included in the workshop price.
- What props will there be to style with? Can I bring my own? High end china, glassware, linen, napkins will be provided to style with. You are welcome to bring your own props or products to style with.
“I just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH. You exposed me to concepts so invaluable to my business. This will take my styling skills to a whole other level. I can’t wait to put them to practice. It was life-changing.” -Michelle Castillo, Wedding Planner
“Thank you so much for hosting, organizing, and teaching the principles of styling. I can’t believe your workshop has come and gone. I had such a great time learning, shooting, and meeting so many amazing people. I left feeling inspired and re-invigorated after being stuck in a creative funk. I think you’re incredibly talented. It was particularly awesome hearing you speak about how you did the Honeymoon Road trip shoot. While I had seen the epic photos by Erich McVey beforehand, I now have a greater appreciation and understanding about styling. Some of the biggest takeaways I learned is how important it is to conceptualize and style in a way that not only tells a story but looks/feels organic, consistent, and natural.” – Irene Cole, Photographer
“It was the best and loved all the hands on training we received! My recommendation is GO!” -Barbara Walters, The Lynden Lane, Wedding Planner
WORKSHOP MAILING LIST
Please contact me below to be put on the mailing list for future workshop dates.