Real Wedding Detail: Succulent Placecard & Favor

The bride loved succulents (as do I!) and so I suggested we use mini succulents potted in aged terracotta to function as both the place card and as guest favors.

I found mini succulents at Seaside Gardens. Mini terracotta pots were purchased in downtown LA.

The Wednesday before we transplanted all 200 plants into aged terracotta pots (the pots were dipped in yogurt about a month before the wedding).

We used about 10 different types. If you do transplant, make sure to water them three times that first day and then once every following day. It sounds like a lot of water for succulents, but they need it when they’re this small.

Top photo via Martha Stewart Weddings

• Camila said:

Beautiful idea! They looked amazing. So happy that I found your blog via Coco and Kelley's twitter.

• Becky said:

Love this idea.. you did such an awesome job with it too!

• Janine said:

Oooh! This is what I'm doing too! But we're using peat pots instead of terracotta. Do you have a photo of the finished product?

• Fabulous garden with gorgeous succulents. It's a nice idea to add it on your wedding favors.

• lauren said:

about how much were they per plant?.. just curious.

• Kelly said:

About $2.50 per plant. Pricing depends on how big the succulent is.

• Debbie said:

This idea is so incredibly creative. Looks relatively simple to do and finally a wedding favor you really want to take home. This would also perfect for a small dinner party. Thanks for sharing!

• Pingback : Santa Barbara Wedding Chic Blog » Blog Archive » Real Wedding featured on Snippet & Ink

• Susana said:

Hi!

Can I asked why the pots were dipped in yougurt a month before? How long did you leave thim in?
    Thanks

• Kelly said:

The pots were put in basically a yogurt bath and left outside. This helps to age the terra cotta so they don't look brand new.

• Pingback : 66 DIY Bride Wedding Projects & Ideas - Part I | Wedloft by WeddingWindow.com

• I have been a reader for a long while, but this is my first time as a commenter. I just wanted to say that this has been / is my favorite entry of yours! Keep up the great work and I’ll keep on coming back.